Welcome to Greater Tucson Leadership!
Tucson Man and Woman of the Year,
Founders Award, and GTL Alumni Excellence Award
Man and Woman of the Year honors two individuals who have contributed significant time, energy and spirit in fields outside his or her professional life, without regard to personal gain; who’s recent contributions to the community have made a significant, positive impact on the quality of life for all residents; who has demonstrated excellence in leadership; and who are a source of positive influence and inspiration for others.
The Founders Award, established in 1985, is a lifetime achievement recognition honoring an individual who has demonstrated significant long-term community involvement and accomplishments; who has helped to shape the community in a positive manner with merit and dedication; who’s leadership has made a significant difference to individuals or groups; and who has displayed wisdom and depth of service. This award is for lifetime achievement rather than a single contribution.
The GTL Alumni Excellence Award honors someone who represents the highest ideals of service and loyalty to the community and is actively utilizing the leadership skills learned during their time in the GTL program.
A 10-person selection committee -- comprised of diverse community leaders representing business, government, non-profit, and higher education -- made the awards selections
Nominees must meet the following criteria:
- A person whose civic and community service goes beyond “normal” responsibilities, creating a lasting and beneficial impact for all residents.
- Actively participated in service, community, church or other organizations.
- Any job-related task or duty for which nominees are paid a salary will not be considered.
- All nominees must be living, reside or have a business in the Greater Tucson Area and possess excellent personal character.
- Previous recipients are not eligible. (GTL Alumni Excellence Award recipients may be considered for a future Man, Woman, or Founder award.)
"I am already engaging in so many ways that I never have before and look forward to being part of good works moving forward." - Michele Murphy
What is GTL?
Leadership Skill Development
GTL offers a dynamic class that teaches a nationally recognized leadership curriculum coupled with immersive field experiences in a breadth of local issues. The class meets once a month, with each meeting emphasizing a particular community issue. The class may visit Flandrau Science Center and a water treatment plant on Environment Day, or take a tour of Border Patrol HQ and the Mexican border on Border Day. Each issue day is tailored to educate class members on a key community issue, and to open avenues for class members to connect to and serve the community in relation to those issues.